Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  Call-for-Chapters: NEW Book on Early Career Academia

Posted 11-02-2023 11:37

Dear Friends,<u1:p></u1:p><u1:p></u1:p>

I am pleased to announce a new book proposal that Dr. Kristin Williams and I are working on that explores the diverse ways of 'doing' and reflecting on early career academia. 

Some details:<u1:p></u1:p><u1:p></u1:p>

Working Title: Doing Early Academic Careers Differently <u1:p></u1:p>

Edited by: Nick Deal and Kristin Williams <u1:p></u1:p>

Publisher: Taylor & Francis/Routledge (Commissioning Editor, Terry Clague)<u1:p></u1:p><u1:p></u1:p>

What does early career academic even mean?! This is a point we wish to explore together in this book. We are eager to feature a set of vibrant, global stories from across the academy that thwart the taken for granted path of academics and we want to hold space for scholars that have pursued academia alongside parenthood, fulltime careers, work precarity, and conditions of oppression and marginalization, to name a few identities. We hope to feature personal narratives of resistance and resilience, and anticipate new discrete counter narratives and critical accounts that challenge conventional wisdom and the assumed path to academia (or beyond). We believe that this edited collection will inspire current and future doctoral students and early career academics by demonstrating what is possible and by problematizing the narrow portrait of early career academics (in and out the academy). <u1:p></u1:p>

If this project interests you (and we hope it does), and you'd like to be included as a chapter in the book, all that we need from you is a Word document that outlines:<u1:p></u1:p>

<u1:p></u1:p>

1. Your full name, affiliation, and email address;<u1:p></u1:p>
    2. A proposed chapter title;<u1:p></u1:p>
    3. Short abstract (up to 250 words maximum).<u1:p></u1:p>

The final chapter won't be due for at least another year and we're aiming for lengths between 6-8,000 words. All forms of writing and styles are welcomed!<u1:p></u1:p>

We'd appreciate your replies via email to Nicholous.Deal@msvu.ca and Kristin.Williams@acadiau.ca by Thursday, November 30, 2023.<u1:p></u1:p>

We look forward to hearing from you and thank you for your consideration.<u1:p></u1:p>

------------------------------
    Nicholous Deal
    Assistant Professor
    Mount Saint Vincent University
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Nicholous.Deal@smu.ca

• 2.  RE: Call-for-Chapters: NEW Book on Early Career Academia

Posted 11-03-2023 07:40

Hi Nicholous, 

I might be interested to contribute, possibly also reflecting a bit on my own rather peculiar career from a professor in history to a management professor. There is however another person whom you might want to involve, but I can't find her info. Barbara Honig once did research on early careers of top-scholars, in particular those that received an ERC starting grant. I know because I was one of the interviewees, as an ERC laureate, but I can't find the title of the book online. I could check it when I'm back home at the end of the month, as I do have a hard copy somewhere. let me know if you can't find it yourself and I'll check it later. All the best, tine

Tine De Moor
    Rotterdam School of Management
    Rotterdam

• 3.  RE: Call-for-Chapters: NEW Book on Early Career Academia

Posted 11-03-2023 08:25

Good morning/afternoon Tine, 

It is a pleasure to hear from you and learn your interest in contributing a chapter to our co-edited book on early career academia. 

Please do send in a proposal as well as share our call with colleagues you feel would be interested. Our intention with this edited book is to collect essays that are reflexive and raw – we want to hold space for those to share their stories of doing and being an early career academic. 😊

Please stay in touch – very happy to make this connection with you and look forward to your book recommendation later this month.

Warmly,

Nick and Kristin

Nicholous Deal
    Assistant Professor
    Mount Saint Vincent University
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Nicholous.Deal@smu.ca